Tuesday 19 July 2011

Snowdon - Awesome!!!

JULY

Week 1
With Snowdon fast approaching we were struggling to prepare in time, we were all kitted out with tents and camping equipment but physically prepared??? God help me!!!

First weekend of July we were invited to Sam and Mark's with Mel and Pete for a BBQ, we had a great time but Pete being the big kid he is, had us all on shots and cocktails so we were both a bit worse for wear the next day. we had no choice however but to carry on regardless of hangover and climb Dovestone to Chew Reservoir. (last chance to make me realise how hard Snowdon was really gonna be!
It was hard believe me and my knee was playing up too (weeks of abuse , dancing, football and more dancing didn't help) so anyway we did it, it was a lovely day and I ached like mad the day after. to say I was dreading Snowdon would be an understatement.

Week 2 SNOWDON!

Number 19 off the list and I've got to say this has got to be one of the hardest things I have physically ever done!!!  I hated every minute of that climb!!! But the weekend was ace!

We arrived at the camp site in Bangor on Friday night to be met by Steve and his brother Andy and the rest of the team. Steve works at Mono and is a lovely lad, his Brother Andy is the guy who had the diving accident 5 years ago and is now paralysed from the neck down (see previous posts) The weekend we had agreed to take part in was the Back up Trust's Snowdon Push, basically we were raising money for the trust by carrying Andy in his wheel chair up the highest mountain in England & Wales.  No mean feat! I of course wasn't part of the carrying team as I had a challenge of my own.... getting up the hill!  

So camping is also something I have never actually done,(No 24) so I stood and watched as Ken and Steve set up our tent and had a couple of beers, we all sat round a BBQ and had a really good evening. went to bed around 12.30 conscious of the fact we had to be bright and early the next morning.

Saturday soon came around and to be honest apart from the fact there was a dog a few tents away that liked to bark I actually slept very well and was up for the day ahead........
 
I'll not lie!! Climbing Snowdon was one of the hardest things I have ever done (did I mention that??) it was physically demanding and mentally hard too. Ken was my rock! if it wasn't for him I don't think I would have got up there, I hated every minute of that climb up there, even the beautiful views could not distract me from the pain and the only time I smiled was when I got to the top... and guess what I did??? yep I LIPPED at the top of Snowdon!! GET ME!!! :)

Coming down was easy! I could have skipped it! oh and the views were ace! Next time I'm getting the train up and running down!!

Seriously though, I have to say what an awesome effort the team made, Andy was in his wheelchair spurring them all on and the lads worked together as team and made Andy's dream work! I was in awe of everyone of them!! half way up the wheel buckled on the chair, this meant they had to physically carry him, now how they did that I will never know, what an amazing bunch of people! Andy has said on record that he hates being called an inspiration, well the whole team deserved that title in my eyes that day! I loved it!

Saturday night brought with it the joy of public showers (",) NICE!! and my camping experience was complete!!! we also had a Push Ball where the trust presented the winning teams with awards, Our team won an award for the most money raised, get this... there were 16 teams in total and up to that night between them they had raised £50,000!! amazing! even more amazing was that our team raised a quarter of that!! over £12,000.....

An experience I will never forget and a what a pleasure and privilege to have been part of the team!
xxx




 

No comments:

Post a Comment