Thursday 11 August 2011

The Big Chill

Another two off my list!!!!! Numbers 17 & 25
Go to a festival and do some volunteer work.

04-08 July

Managed to kill two birds with one stone here and volunteered in the welfare tent at the Big Chill Festival in Eastnor Deer Park Ledbury. what an amazing time I had... I heard about the chance to o this from a good friend of mine Lynn who has done this before and recommended me for the job. Basically you work up to 16 hrs over the weekend in the welfare tent as a volunteer and then the rest of the time is your own. The tent was, believe me, an eye opener! we were basically there to support the punters with any 'welfare' needs, this ranged from having goods stolen, lost children, lost tents, sanitary goods, sun lotion etc to people that have had way to much beer or drugs and don't basically know where they are. I got a mixed bag I'll tell you but I wasn't there to judge just to help. certainly made me appreciate my children somewhat though and am proud of my parenting skills and the fact they are as they are!

Anyway, like I say, I wasn't there to judge just help and I think/hope I did a good job, it was quite satisfying to be honest knowing I'd helped people in their time of need and looked after them. I think I'd definitely do it again.

the weekend wasn't all work though and I had a great time in my free time, camping with my man (only the second time ever don't forget!) and chilling watching gigs. the atmosphere at a concert was really cool, everybody seemed to be just so chilled and relaxed.

I spent the day with Lynn on Friday and we watched a few new bands and just walked about and chilled, the weather was lovely and we bought flowers for our hair... 'oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair....' Friday night 8 till 12 I was on shift in the tent but at 12 Ken and I grabbed some beers and went for a walk round the arena, watching loads of different bands and generally just chilling (theme of the weekend!)  it was so nice we stayed out till 4am!
Saturday was another busy day albeit a tad wetter, we saw/heard the likes of Jessie J, Calvin Harris, Kanye West and some lesser known bands including one from Manchester who I'd go and see again.
We stayed Sunday till about 10pm watched Robert Plant and drove home, absolutly knackered but happy!

So massive thanks to Lynn for recommending it, I'll be there again next year, I think I may have caught the welfare tent bug!!!!

Chow for now XX

1 comment:

  1. I am soooo jealous that you have been to a festival Kathy! Sounds like you had a great time although I don't think I could have coped with drunks and druggies! 10 and 11 years olds are my limit!
    Love Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete